Monday, October 26, 2009

The new Collegio







Madre Soyla invited me to lunch... I thought it was an almuerzo (lunch) at 9:30, instead it was the official launch of the High School. The Padre came from Quito and Madres from Cuenca and Quayaquil, parents, officials of Banos and officials of Ecuador. The grado octavo performed their little hearts out during mass and in the courtyard. They performed a very energentic aerobic/dance/mambo/yoga/karate type routine choreographed by the very macho and very silent gym teacher. They were in straight little lines and luckily the front line kind of remembered what to do!

Met the Minister of Education and he went on and on about how important English is in the schools. I confirmed that by saying they need English books to read!

After the huge lunch, prepared by the Madres and their staff, I went to look at my choices to live. One house, 15 minutes outside of Banos and two tunnels later was a 2 bed/2bath, no furniture, no frig, in desperate need of repair and paint. However, it did have about 50 chickens in the back yard which they said I was welcome to eat! lol! ... Next, an apartment in Banos, living with a family and displacing the son for a year. He would sleep with the parents... not so bad, but he's in college and that would be too wierd to take his room. Next? Still at the nunnery.

Kids are now working on present, past and future tense. I have them diagraming so they can see where the tense is and it is working. Visual learners... They are very proud to come up and mark on the board where the tense is in the example sentence. Added in 1st, 2nd and 3rd person. That one is tricky as they keep puttin the 's' on the plural verb form rather than on the singular, which would seem to makes sense, but is incorrect... ah, English!

No comments:

Post a Comment